Community elections procedures update

Jim Baker

Greetings!
I updated the wiki for the new community elections policy re: vice chair position. Please review for accuracy.

Also note the 2020 election procedures are to be decided by the end of March. I've heard suggestions for changing TSC composition/qualifications, so if you have an idea, please bring it forward and I'll help coordinate.
Thanks for your continued engagement!
Jim

--
Jim Baker
Linux Foundation Networking - Technical Program Manager

Mark Beierl

Thanks, Jim.

As the number of overall participants and projects in OPNFV has decreased since the 15 member TSC was formed, I think it is now time to discuss reducing the size to reflect that. We also no longer have member appointed positions but are fully based on merit.

Regards,
Mark

On Jan 30, 2020, at 17:49, Jim Baker via Lists.Opnfv.Org <jbaker=linuxfoundation.org@...> wrote:

Greetings!
I updated the wiki for the new community elections policy re: vice chair position. Please review for accuracy.

Also note the 2020 election procedures are to be decided by the end of March. I've heard suggestions for changing TSC composition/qualifications, so if you have an idea, please bring it forward and I'll help coordinate.
Thanks for your continued engagement!
Jim

--
Jim Baker
Linux Foundation Networking - Technical Program Manager
mobile: +1 970 227 6007

Al Morton

Hi Jim, Mark,

I’m interested to discuss the overall length of the

yearly elections, with a view toward reducing the total

duration. Perhaps the TSC membership could nominate

and elect the Vice Chair and SPC Rep concurrently,

keeping a similar number of weeks as we had

without Vice Chair election.

And as Mark points out, a smaller TSC membership might be

able to work though the TSC elections more quickly,

but it’s also important to consider vacation weeks, etc.

(Last year, the TSC Election results were announced on

July 25, 2019.)

regards,

Al

[...]

Greetings Al,
I did, in fact, overlap the SPC rep and vice chair elections - adding no new time to the election schedule (view the diffs).

Both you and Mark B are suggesting a smaller TSC - is there a target size you have in mind?
Jim

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 7:00 AM MORTON, ALFRED C (AL) <acm@...> wrote:

[...]

David McBride

I agree with the goal of reducing the duration of the election.  The election was lengthened considerably when we decided to go from a 1 week nomination period + 1 week election period, to 2 week nomination period + 2 week election period.  As I recall, this was largely driven by Frank, who believed that the 1 week period was too short. in light of recent election experience, perhaps he's like to reconsider.

Also, remember that we also now have the SPC representative election that gets added into the mix.

David

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 6:00 AM Al Morton <acm@...> wrote:

[...]

Release Manager
Linux Foundation Networking (LFN)
Email/Google Talk: dmcbride@...
IRC: dmcbride

Al Morton

Thanks Jim, I was having trouble doing the +weeks math,

or I missed the last line of the table completely.

I could imagine the VC and SPC rep elections using fully

synchronized nomination and election periods,

for simplicity, as a possible alternative.